About This Blog

This blog is set up to write about inspiring experiences, ideas, humor, and thoughts along our everyday journey--simple ordinary solutions which give life new perspective. Your input is welcome! Simply comment about your experiences OR better yet, contact me to be a guest blogger! We ALL have prespectives and help we can share with each other.

Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Four Words A Woman Never Wants to Hear

I felt an overwhelming feeling of illness sweep over my entire body as I heard the four words a women never wants to hear, "You have a lump." "What?" I replied. "A lump in your breast," was the response. "Are you sure?" In denial, I felt the spot that was identified. Sure enough. There it was, unmistakenly, a large lump. How did I NOT notice it? How long had it been there? When was my last exam...a year ago; clean then. My last mammogram? Two-three years. Now panic had set in. My mind quickly went to the worst case scenario. My husband, thank goodness for him, calmed me down and reminded me not to panic until I had the facts. I quickly called to get a mammogram. Did you know there are two different kinds? A screening, which we all normally get, and then a diagnostic--the kind for those of us with lumps. It took several days to get an appointment for a mammogram and several more days for an appointment with the Doctor. In the meantime, I had to keep myself busy so my mind didn't wander. Really, it can make one crazy! So...until the appointments, I prayed like mad.

I arrived to get the "diagnostic" mammogram yesterday. It's much like the screening only more intense smashing with different sizes of paddles. I was asked several times, "tell me when you can't stand the pain and I will quick cranking the paddle." I remember seeing a cartoon about mammograms. That's exactly how I was looking and feeling! (Photo Credit: Joan Starks, ASCII Art http://www.ascii-art.com/) The screening was followed by an ultra sound. Not bad at all. During the exams, I was asked several times if my doctor discovered the lump or myself. "No," I replied, actually it was my husband. To which we all laughed and I was told that most husbands do make the discovery first. My friend and I quipped, "Who said we would ever be so thankful for sex!" and laughed together in a tense situation. Thanks goodness for female friends.

Back to the diagnostic test; Lastly, there was a doctor on staff who met with me. We went over all of the pictures and talked best case and worst; he was extremely helpful. He even gave me his card and told me to call any time I had questions--day or night. Wow! When was the last time a doctor said that to you.

When I first felt the lump, I quickly got on the internet (http://www.breastcancer.org/). Yes, it can make you crazy, but it helps to educate one about breast cancer so they are prepared to ask the neccessary questions. It's a great site. I suggest every women should visit it and educate yourself more thoroughly. Even if you are never affected by the big "C", the odds are you may have a friend or family member who is. Did you know a vast amount of women ignore or are in denial about a lump they may have. In fact, the Doctor told me many even wait up to a year before they seek a diagnosis...and then what? Do your monthly breast check and get out there and get your mammogram. Schedule your past due mammogram today (Davis County in Utah is 801-807-1000). Believe me, you DO NOT want to hear those four words, "You have a lump." And if you ever do, take immediate action...the sooner the better.

Oh, yes. At this date, we are calling my lump a fibroadenoma. Nothing too serious. Very common among women. The lump is oval, with clear defined edges and contains calcification. I will know more after the biopsy on Thursday. Worst case? I can live with it. I will survive.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh, Nelladet. I will definetly keep you in my prayers. You should have called we could have come over with a big hug!! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete

Dance Along Your Journey

Dancing can lighten any heart. Here is a little humor featuring my daughter Meghan dancing with Troy from High School Musical. I hope you choose to dance today!
Try JibJab Sendables® eCards today!